mark sanborn and developing leadership [podcast][rebroadcast]
By o.c. tanner
Leadership | April 27, 2016
In this session of the Great Work Insights Podcast, Todd Nordstrom speaks with Mark Sanborn, CSP, CPAE, President of the National Speakers Association, member of the Speaker Hall of Fame, author of eight books, and president of Sanborn & Associates Inc. Throughout his career, Sanborn clients have included Costco, FedEx, Cisco, KPMG and ESPN.
You will learn:
- His journey to becoming a leadership expert started with a failed speaking contest when he was 10.
- We’ve got a choice [when we fail], we can say it doesn’t really matter…or when it’s appropriate and it’s important to us, it really does matter.
- The ability to communicate well is important concerning leadership; to have the substance and the style, the expertise and the eloquence.
- Deep down inside, leadership is about getting in touch with what is important to you, what interests you, and what really matters.
- Leaders have two qualities:
- they know what matters.
- they can make it matter to others.
- Leaders are both born and made–it also correlates to the skills developed.
- Leadership is power with people, not power over people.
- No one can prevent you from being exceptional–consider the mail carrier who goes above and beyond his duties.
- How to do our jobs differently, taking into account the people we serve and our duties.
- Lead individuals, not a mass of people and believe in the people you lead.
- Advice for those who want to lead, whether big or small:
- look for opportunities to make something better
- improve ROI (return on investment)–all leaders improve relationships, outcomes or suggest and implement improvements.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Learn more and connect with Mark Sanborn
Thank You For Listening!
What’d you think of today’s show? The conversation continues in the comments below. Be sure to leave your great insights.