how to react the right way in a new situation [podcast]
By o.c. tanner
Culture | October 2, 2014
In this session of the Great Work Insights Podcast, Todd Nordstrom speaks with Catherine Carr, an HR and finance manager for Doctors Without Borders. Previously, Carr has worked as a HR and finance manager for PB&J Family Services, Inc., human resources coordinator for Z-CoiL Footwear and an administrator for Chevron.
You will learn:
- Danger is inherent no matter the context.
- Where Carr’s medical travels have taken her through the Doctors Without Borders.
- I’ve learned that while danger does increase stress level, it’s also possible to create high stress level from nothing. And most importantly I’ve learned that in all situations what really matters is our capacity for awareness, our behaviors and our reactions to events.
- Stories of her time serving around the world and how she ended up with Doctors Without Borders.
- [My experience] taught me that people rise to the challenge.
- People jump on to challenges because they are motivated, e.g. the 2013 Philippines typhoon. Her personal story of getting it and understanding it.
- You can’t communicate enough.
- Plan for the worse thing to happen before it happens.
- Create simple processes, plan for burnouts and recovery time.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Learn more and connect with Catherine Carr
- Learn more about Doctors Without Borders
Thank You For Listening!
What’d you think of today’s show? The conversation continues in the comments below. Be sure to leave your great insights.