the science to hiring: attitude first, skill set second [podcast][rebroadcast]
By o.c. tanner
Culture | March 16, 2016
In this session of the Great Work Insights Podcast, Todd Nordstrom speaks with Stephen Moulton, author of “The CEO’s Advantage–7 Keys for Hiring Extraordinary Leaders” and the President and Chief Insight Officer of Action Insight. Specifically, Moulton helps Healthcare and other client managers hire for fit.
You will learn:
- Facts about the hiring industry.
- His work experience in hiring candidates for corporate jobs.
- Are hiring managers doing their job well? Not exactly, because they don’t know the science to it. When you know the science behind hiring, you get significant results.
- The importance of both attitude and skill with an applicant.
- Hiring mistakes take place when managers hire just for skill and don’t worry about attitude. Technical skill should never be more than half of the hiring position…the other half needs to be the attitude. If you have to pick between the two, I would pick attitude.
- Managers need an effective system to be able to sort through and separate who’s going to be effective, have the right attitude, alignment and aptitude to be successful in the organization–no matter the position. All of that requires a system.
- Don’t search applicants social media before the interview–eliminates any bias.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
- Learn more and connect with Stephen Moulton
- Learn more about Executive Selection Coaching
Thank You For Listening!
What’d you think of today’s show? The conversation continues in the comments below. Be sure to leave your great insights.