how to avoid the 2 pm lull [podcast]
By o.c. tanner
Culture | January 12, 2015
In this session of the Great Work Insights Podcast, Todd Nordstrom speaks with Tom Rath, author, researcher and New York Times bestseller of: “Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes”, “Wellbeing”, “Strengths Based Leadership”, “StrengthsFinder 2.0” and “How Full Is Your Bucket?”
You will learn:
- Rath discusses his book “Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes” and his motive behind publishing it.
- Finding how we can maintain energy throughout the work day.
- There’s an extraordinary amount of tension on rising healthcare cost inside major companies today.
- Companies are focusing on healthcare the wrong way and scaring away employees. In reality, I’m pretty convinced there’s a lot more potential for upside in improving engagement, improving achievement, improving safety, improving quality and improving productivity by helping people to show up everyday with more energy to do their work.
- We are stuck in the notion that needing more sleep is a weakness. Sleep is really an investment in your future productivity and happiness, not the first expense we should be cutting when we have a lot of things going on. Sleep needs to be more valued. Rath relates four hours of sleep to a six-pack of beer–it inhibits our actions.
- Eating right is also important when it comes to productivity in the work place.
- Most people end up sitting eight to 10 hours a day, on average. Start with trying to be more active throughout the day before setting up an exercise routine.
- I think inactivity is a bigger national and global problem than lack of exercise.
- How can you get more active? Start small–for example, stretch out your arms while at your desk, or get up and walk for five minutes every couple hours.
- Managers should structure an environment that promotes physical activity.
- Today we have multiple resources to track our activity–get’s the conversation started among employees.
Links and Resources Mentioned:
Learn more and connect with Tom Rath.
Learn more about: “Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes”
Thank You For Listening!
What’d you think of today’s show? The conversation continues in the comments below. Be sure to leave your great insights.