10 ways to help employees grow
provided by: octanner.com
Gallup finds 32% of employees quit because they feel a lack of opportunity for growth and development in their organization. But opportunity for development doesn’t always have to mean a pay increase or job promotion. Here are 10 ways to help your employees grow and have an opportunity to shine:
- Focus on overall wellbeing. When companies take care of their employees’ mental, social, and physical wellness, they see a 24% increase in the sense of opportunity
- Create a learning culture. Only 55% of employees regularly learn new things in their current role. Provide opportunities to continuously learn, stretch, and grow in areas that they are interested in.
- Give exposure. To executives, mentors, and special projects. Only 51% of employees feel their work is visible across the organization.
- Provide meaningful work. More than 1 in 3 employees are “often” bored with their work. Let them be part of something purposeful and great.
- Let go of the reigns. Only 56% of employees say their manager knows how to share responsibility with their team. Take a risk and give employees more ownership.
- Have employees’ best interest in mind. Only 55% of employees have seen personal growth at their organization. Find out where your employee wants to go and build a plan to get there.
- Give them a voice. Less than ½ of employees say they help influence important decisions at work. Empower your people to suggest, make changes, and provide feedback.
- Build connections. Over 40% of adults report being lonely. Have ongoing team or company events and a collaborative workspace where employees can connect.
- Show appreciation for a job well done. When employees feel appreciated, they are 52% more likely to feel they can take on anything.
- Allow your people to thrive. About ½ of employees say their manager motivates them to do their best work. So step back and allow your people to be great.
- Why are your employees’ quitting? https://www.inc.com/marcel-schwantes/why-are-your-employees-quitting-a-study-says-it-comes-down-to-any-of-these-6-reasons.html
- How employee wellbeing shapes workplace cultures, O.C. Tanner Institute
- The 6 essential aspects of workplace culture to focus on today, O.C. Tanner Institute
- Loneliness among older adults, AARP https://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/general/loneliness_2010.pdf
- The Impact of Excellent Employee Wellbeing, O.C. Tanner Institute